Monday, April 13, 2009

Welcome!

This is a welcome on a few levels. Firstly, its my first post on this blog, so welcome! Its also a welcome on my journey, because you'll be coming along for the ride through what I write.
On top of that, its also about my welcome to Japan. I've been here 2 weeks now, so its not exactly a new anymore, but its still quite exciting.

There's plenty to write about but I'm not about to give you an essay to read, so I'll keep it brief. We arrived in Nagoya to a very cold reception weather-wise, but a very warm reception from our fellow staff here. They all came to meet us at the airport which was awesome. The weather was a little chilly though - it barely got above 10C (50F) for our first few days there, which was a bit of a shock coming from Sydney summerlike weather of 27C (80F). But we survived and its now back up the mid 20s (70-80F). We've set up our apartment with pretty much everything we need for now which is positive, and its starting to really feel like home. We've figured out where to buy things for grocery shopping, where the post office is and a few good places to eat around the place.

We've had a week or so of meetings and training in preparation for us going on campus this coming week. Its been a lot to take in, but really valuable stuff and a bit of fun at times too. We also met up with some of the student leaders of the Christian ministry I'm working with one Saturday for a prayer walk, which was a very encouraging day. The students have such a passion that is contagious and uplifting.

On top of all that, we've had a chance to spend a bit of time out and about while the cherry blossoms have been in bloom. They're quite amazing! Its a shame they don't last longer, as they'll be gone pretty soon. The photos just don't do it justice though, however enjoy this one I took anyway. There are more photos on my facebook for those who are that way inclined.

No comments:

Post a Comment